Reiki was originally developed in Japan a hundred years ago as a method for health, happiness and peace of mind. Reiki is a highly effective energy treatment for relaxation, calming the nervous system and boosting the immune system. Reiki has many therapeutic benefits at all levels – physical, mental, emotional and spiritual – and inspires wisdom, insight and understanding that can literally transform your outlook and your life.
Reiki is a form of healing using the ‘universal life energy’ channelled through the practitioner to the recipient. Reiki helps to balance the mind, body and the spirit.
What happens during a Reiki treatment?
During a treatment, you relax, fully clothed on a couch or seated while the healer holds his or her hands on or above your body. A treatment can last an hour or longer depending on your needs. A full treatment usually covers all important organs of the body and the seven main charkas.
There is no pressure on the body, making it an ideal treatment for all ages and conditions. The energy flows, through the healer, wherever it is required and can normally be felt as a warm sensation or tingling in the body. Receiving Reiki is a very relaxing and calming experience.
How can Reiki help people?
Reiki is a powerful and gentle healer:
- Promotes natural self-healing
- Balances the energies in the body
- Balances the organs and glands
- Strengthens the immune system
- Treats symptoms and causes of illness
- Relieves pain
- Clears toxins
- Adapts to the natural needs of the receiver
- Enhances personal awareness
- Relaxes and reduces stress
- Promotes creativity
- Releases blocked and suppressed feelings
- Aids meditation and positive thinking
- Heals holistically
You need to experience the loving, soothing and supportive energy of Reiki therapy to really understand its effects. Over time it can make a real difference to how you feel in all areas of your life. It does not merely deal with symptoms but may also address the root mental, physical and emotional causes of ill health or dis-ease at a subconscious level.
Many people report that over time Reiki brings them relief from anxiety and stress, emotional and physical pain, injury, illness, trauma and personal concerns. The results can sometimes be dramatic as the relaxing support of Reiki can boost the auto-immune system and stimulate the body’s own natural healing process. As the body becomes stronger and more in balance, it is then better able to restore itself.
Reiki gently and effectively complements all types of medical treatment and does not compromise prescribed medication.
Get in touch with a therapist to book your session...
- Dee Taylor, a Reiki Master, who also teaches Reiki classes at Breath-Works
- Nicola McDermid, who offers a tailored blend of techniques, including massage and Reiki, designed to help you deal with stress
- Gillian Duncan, who combines Reiki with mindfulness techniques
- Audrey Hird, a Usui Reiki and Karuna Reiki practitioner and teacher.